ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Doug Crowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 09:56:09 -0400
All-

     I am curious as to the number (if any) of folks who have tried to do laser ablation with BrF5 for
oxygen isotope analysis of sulfate minerals as well as hydroxylated sulfur/sulfate species.  I would
like to analyze alunite, and would like to hear from anyone who has gone down this road.  Also, I
am pondering the wisdom of doing clay minerals by laser with BrF5, and recall several
conversations with others who were attempting this.  We have an airlock design similar to John
Valley's/Mike Spicuzza's in Madison, but I would like to know if the spattering issues during
heating have been solved.

Dr. Doug Crowe
Department of Geology
University of Georgia