ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Steve Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 11:19:58 -0600
David,

I am going to depart from some of the other suggestions that have been
made.

Collect your sample in a glass bottle with a polyseal cap without any
head space.  We prefer to use amber glass to suppress biological
activity.  They are probably available in your chemistry stockroom.  If
your purpose is to analyze the waters for hydrogen and/or oxygen
isotopes, there is no need to freeze them, or refrigerate them for that
matter, and they can be stored for years.

On May 22, 2006, at 6:09 PM, Sarah Grosshuesch wrote:

> I am a graduate student researching hydrogen stable isotopes within
> the food web of an owl species.  In the process of planning for sample
> collection, I am wondering what would be the best bottle for storing
> water samples until they are processed, which may be several months.
> About a 100 mL of water will be collected and stored in a freezer.
> Which would be the best bottle for storage glass or high-density
> polyethylene?  Also, what sort of bottle cap would be best to avoid
> evaporation, etc.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Grosshuesch
>
> M.S. candidate
> Natural Resources Research Institute
> Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth
> 5013 Miller Trunk Hwy.
> Duluth, MN 55811
> 218-720-4382

Steve Nelson
Associate Professor
Dept. of Geological Sciences
S-389 ESC
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT  84602

801-422-8688

"Guns don't kill people, Dick Cheney kills people."
Disclaimer for the feeble-minded:  It should be painfully obvious, but
the identification of my affiliation with Brigham Young University does
not imply that the University endorses any political or otherwise
partisan content of this message.