ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Marilyn Fogel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:51:51 -0400
Under normal use, Nafion should work for "ever". Under abnormal use (i.e.
acid making its way into the Nafion tubing), the life time is
"considerably reduced" (to put it mildly).

Look for leaks or some other restriction in flow if you see increased
water. I my <7000 sample experience, the water background comes from
atmospheric sources.

Marilyn Fogel

> Hi everyone,
>
>       I was hoping to get some advice regarding the two Nafion water traps
> in Thermo's Gasbench.  Can anyone please explain the symptoms of a Nafion
> trap that is no longer functional?  I'm assuming the trap directly after
> the
> sample needle is typically the first to go.  Is there a way to test which
> trap has the problem?  Finally, what is the expected life of Nafion traps?
> We've had about 7,000 samples through the machine with only a few hundred
> being water samples.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Joe Lambert
> Alabama Stable Isotope Laboratory