ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
John Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:18:30 +0000
Hi Alison

Not necessarily, an arc or flash-over will usually occur at a higher
potential. If you have been having to take the source out to change duff
filaments then it could be that something has been disturbed.
There may also be a defective lead-through on the source base-plate. You
also need to check there are no metallic deposits on the ceramic
insulators of the lead-throughs. This could come from misaligned
filaments which glow like a light bulb when the trap and emission are
zero and you can get a sputtering effect.

Sorry, I thought the source of 252 was similar to the 253 which have the
light bulb source heaters at ground potential.

Regards

John Hill
Mass Spectrometry Facility
University College London