ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
John Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:29:34 -0600
Hello all,

I have a delta-V advantage with extremely variable box and trap
currents. The trap varies from 0.6 to 1.2 mA over extremely short
timescales (less than 0.5 seconds)- box and trap go up and down in
synchrony. The cycle seems to be stable for days (i.e. the currents
aren't changing in response to a new gas being added to the source).
Sensitivity and linearity are within spec, vacuum and backgrounds look
good, peak shapes and slow magnet scans look good, and data from a run
of standards look good.  Standard deviations (n= 5) for working
standards are  less than 0.1 per mil for d13C (Costech EA -> Conflo IV
-> IRMS).

In short, the machine seems to be performing well, even with hyper-
variable box and trap currents. We recently had a He leak and the IRMS
saw room air from the Conflo for a few hours, which could have damaged
the filament. Thermo suggested to replace the filament, but I'm
hesitant to do this when we're getting good performance.

Has anyone else seen this? Thanks,

John Drake

Graduate Student
Program of Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation
University of Illinois
1500 IGB
1206 W. Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801