ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
gerard olack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2016 17:56:00 -0500
HI Million--

Assuming you're running in the normal config and not the single path set
up...

You can pile the glassy C chips on the bottom up a  little higher, a cm
or so--but stay out of the hot zone.  If the top of the glassy C tube
clears the hot zone and the crucible goes down a few cm, you should be ok.

The graphite funnel on top of the glassy C tube should be out of the hot
zone too--so minimal contact with the walls.  I haven't tried shaving a
bit off the outside of the bottom half of the graphite funnel to keep it
from the alumina walls--but if you're getting too close to the hot zone...

Test it out.  If it's cracked in half, the classy C tube may not fully
span the hot zone and you may end up with high backgrounds and reactions
between glassy C and wall--esp. if you run at 1450+ oC.

Single path set up--you're probably out of luck.  You need single tube
from the bottom adapter thru the hot zone and crucible position.  If the
crucible is a few cm into the glassy C tube--it may work.   (No luck if
it was a glassy C tube for water injections).

IF the ends are jagged--you can probably live with that.  Point them up
and have the funnel sit on top of them.  The funnel should guide the
sample into the tube--and that's all you need to worry about.  But
double check it when test samples drop (and you have a good pair of shades).

take care,

gerry