ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Mathieu Daëron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2021 15:23:32 +0200
Dear isogeochemists,

Uchikawa & Zeebe (2012) write, regarding quantitative precipitation of DIC to witherite (BaCO3):

"During the method development, our test samples precipitated as CaCO3 [...] resulted in co-precipitation of calcite and variable amounts of vaterite (roughly from 30 to 50% of total CaCO3)."

Does anybody have ideas about potential strategies to "push the system" towards exclusive calcite precipitation? I suppose this is actually a challenging problem, otherwise some clever people would have already solved it, but I figure it might be worth asking here.

Cheers to all,

- Mathieu

Mathieu Daëron
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l’Environnement