ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Howie Spero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:40:09 -0700
Dear listers:

	Many of us pursue our careers in search of knowledge, strive to
work hard, attempt to develop a power base and try desperately to find the
time needed to make some money so we can enjoy life. Here is a quantitative
asessment of these parameters that puts a new twist on knowledge, money and
work.

Howie Spero
_________

>>After applying some simple algebra to some trite phrases and cliches
>>a new understanding can be reached of the secret to wealth and
>>success.
>>
>>Here it goes.
>>           Knowledge is Power
>>           Time is Money and as every engineer knows,
>>           Power is Work over Time.
>>
>>So, substituting algebraic equations for these time worn
>>bits of wisdom,
>>we get:
>>           K = P    (1)
>>           T = M    (2)
>>           P = W/T  (3)
>>
>>  Now, do a few simple substitutions:
>>
>>           Put W/T in for P in equation (1), which yields:
>>           K = W/T  (4)
>>
>>  Put M in for T into equation (4), which yields:
>>
>>           K = W/M  (5).
>>
>>  Now we've got something.  Expanding back into English, we get:
>>
>>           Knowledge equals Work over Money.
>>
>>  What this MEANS is that:
>>
>>           1. The More You Know, the More Work You Do, and
>>           2. The More You Know, the Less Money You Make.
>>
>>  Solving for Money, we get:
>>
>>            M = W/K  (6)
>>           Money equals Work Over Knowledge.
>>
>>  From equation (6) we see that Money approaches infinity as
>>knowledge  approaches 0, regardless of the Work done.
>>
>>  What THIS MEANS is:
>>
>>          The More you Make, the Less you Know.
>>
>>  Solving for Work, we get
>>
>>           W = M K  (7)
>>           Work equals Money times Knowledge
>>
>>  From equation (7) we see that Work approaches 0 as Knowledge
>>approaches 0.
>>
>>  What THIS MEANS is:
>>
>>          The stupid rich do little or no work.
>>
>>  Working out the socioeconomic implications of this breakthrough is
>>left   as an exercise for the reader.

   *  Prof. Howard J. Spero     *   e-mail:   [log in to unmask]  *
   *  Department of Geology     *   Office:   (916) 752-3307             *
   *  University of California  *   Lab:      (916) 752-3311             *
   *  Davis CA 95616-8605 USA   *   FAX:      (916) 752-0951             *