ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
[log in to unmask] (Groening Manfred)
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:16:46 +0100

Dear Wolfram, Paul, Natalie,
the paper by Ahmad Tanweer and Liang-Feng Han on " Reduction of microliter
amounts of water with manganese for D/H isotope ratio measurement by mass
spectrometry" is published in Isotopes Environ. Health Stud., 1996, Vol.31,
pp.1-7.
No experiments were performed on high saline waters.
Most probable a higher amount of Zinc will reduce your problems (until
absorption of hydrogene gas occurs). See for example "Determination of
deuterium in brines and in hypersaline aqueous solutions by mass
spectrometry using zinc as reducing agent" by Ahmad Tanweer, Analyst, July
1993, Vol.118, pp.835-838  and reference No.5 given in this article.
If really low pH causes this problem, than neutralization using Na2O2
(sodium peroxide) could be helpful.

Best regards,
                          Ahmad Tanweer, Manfred Groening
                          Isotope Hydrology Laboratory