ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 04 Oct 96 22:14:56 +0000
Andrea

Fortunatly with any problem with the amplifier system we
have the opportunaty to swap non-functioning and
funtioning parts.  If you swap the cables going to amps
1 and 2 at the head amplifier you can see immediatly if
the problem is in the amplifer or the system control
unit.
If after swap these leads and the noise you see appears
on the computer as beam 2 then the problem is in the
head amplifier.  If the noise still appears as beam 1
then the problem is most likely in the system control
unit.

Option 1, the test above shows the problem is in the
head amplifier, then I would swap the amplifier chip,
OPA104.  Be aware that these chips are very static
sensitive and you must take suitable precautions.

Option 2, the test above shows the problem is in the
system control unit.  Inside this unit there are 3 main
boards, the middle one is the input board for the
amplifiers.  On this board there are VFC boards, one for
each amplifier.  If you are lucky there will be a forth
board for a TCD input if needed and you can use this in
place of the one for beam 1.  All these VFC borads are
identical.

As you heard a 'bang' I would look for any componants
were blackened or cracked.

Cheers
Peter Stow

// 			ISO-MASS Scientific Inc.