CAMPUSKITCHENS Archives

October 2008

CAMPUSKITCHENS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Kate E. Turcotte" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kate E. Turcotte
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 07:33:44 -0400
Hello Campus Kitchens!

Just wanted to update you all with what is happening in the world on CKP!

1. Sarah, Lily, and Pete will be going to the Campus Kitchens
Leadership Conference this weekend in Milwaukee, Wisconsin! This is
the same conference that myself and the other student coordinator
attended last year to learn more about Campus Kitchens and to find out
whether the program would be a good fit at UVM. It's exciting that we
are coming back a year later and are just about to open our kitchen!

2. The CKP Leadership Team and the committee members are working hard
to plan the big CKP Kick Off Week which will be November 17-19. This
is everything from working with community partners for food donations
for our first cooking shift, lining up the speakers and bands for the
kick off night, to advertising around campus about the events and
Campus Kitchens. There is a lot of work that needs to be done, from
the hunger awareness campaign, to kitchen training, to button making,
so there are many ways to get involved!

3. The fundraising co-coordinators and committee are working on the
first fundraising/ cookie baking explosion that will be the week
before our opening week. We will be looking for on campus groups,
departments, and organizations to bake their favorite sweets for the
CKP cause or canned donations.

4. Pumpkin gleaning/ harvesting this Friday! Check out the email that
Sarah sent for more details!

There is also research being done to create a CKP garden plot where
all of the donations go to Campus Kitchens, an awareness campaign
through a service learning class, and other many other exciting
projects!

Check out our website- www.uvm.edu/~kitchens

Join our Facebook group (and invite your friends too!)-
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24094242685

Check out the national website- www.campuskitchens.org

If you have any questions about the program or would like to get
involved, email our awesome CKP Coordinator Sarah ([log in to unmask]) for
more information.

The next general meeting will be on Monday October 20 at 7pm in room
Wright 114 in the CWP Complex on Redstone campus. We will be moving
ahead with all of these projects and Kate, who is the marketing guru
for the Davis Center and one of our fabulous advisors, will be going
through the steps to successfully advertise and get the word out about
our upcoming events. There will be a lot to do, and anyone is welcome
to come.

Thanks everyone! I know that there is a lot going on in the world and
it is a confusing time for many of us. The Campus Kitchens Project
won't solve the problem, but we will have a positive impact on the
community and we are taking action with the resources that are
available to us as students. Have a great rest of the week and we'll
see you on Monday!

Take care,
Kate

--
Kate E. Turcotte
Student Coordinator, Campus Kitchens Project