CAMPUSKITCHENS Archives

October 2008

CAMPUSKITCHENS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Kate E. Turcotte" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kate E. Turcotte
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:21:11 -0400
Hey everyone!

Check this out! It looks really interesting and Sarah is on one of the panels!

Take care,
Kate

     Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:02:35 -0400
     From: Deborah Neher <[log in to unmask]>
  Subject: Middlebury College Student Food Symposium Oct.20-25
       To: [log in to unmask]

FYI -

MONDAY - OCTOBER 20th

John Elder - Professor of Environmental Studies and English and American
Literature, Middlebury
?Just Taste the Tomato: The Place of Food in a More Inviting
Environmentalism?
Hillcrest 103 ? 4:30 pm

Local Vermont Dinner
Ross and Atwater Dining Halls ? 5:00 - 8:00 pm

The Greenhorns:
?A Documentary Fill About Young Farmers?
screening followed by discussion with producer, Severine von Tscharner
Fleming
Hillcrest 103 ? 8:00 pm

For the kick-off day of the symposium, we are lucky enough to have John
Elder, Middlebury professor of food-based classes such as Fast Food /
Slow Food, speak about one of his specialties--?keeping it local.? His
lecture will supplement both the local dinners in Ross and Atwatter and
the documentary focusing on young, local farmers. Local Monday will set
the flow of the week as we start within the Middlebury community, expand
to the global sphere throughout the week, and return to Vermont on Friday.

TUESDAY - OCTOBER 21st

Mini-Farmers Market
Battell Beach ? 12:00 - 2:00 pm

Walter Robb - President and Chief Operating Officer or President and COO
ofWhole Foods Market Inc.
?Reestablishing our Connections?
Dana Auditorium ? 4:30 pm

Iron Chef Competition
With a Dining Services Panel
Ross Dining Hall ? 9:00 pm

For many consumers, the closest they ever come to food producers is the
cash register at the supermarket. The producer and supply day of the
symposium would aim to facilitate connections between the plethora of
local producers in Vermont and the Middlebury community. A ?local
producer?s extravaganza? fair (with the participation of Middlebury?s
own Cheese Making Club and local farmers) supplemented by a lecture by
Walter Robb, President and COO of Whole Foods, will not only build off
of Monday?s emphasis on local communities but also "put a face to the
food" students eat. A leader in the food industry, Walter Robb is a
forward thinker on the topic of environmentally sustainable development
and economy and believes Whole Foods can make a significant difference
in the way Americans think about food. Finally, The Iron Chef
Competition will be a fun way to end the day, reminding the community
that food can be an entertaining and exciting part of our lives.

WEDNESDAY - OCTOBER 22nd

Ellie Kastanopolous - Director of Equity Trust
"Gaining Ground: Access to land is at the heart of many problems"
Lecture and joint panel discussion with Sarah Heim of UVM Campus
Kitchens and Theresa Snow of the VT Food Bank Farm
Hillcrest 103 ? 4:30 pm

Food is not always a joy?many of our global and local neighbors go
hungry each day and are forced to make the decision between eating and
staying warm. Food prices continue to rise and this coming winter has
the potential to be a sobering reminder of the reality of the
socio-economic disparities that exist in New England. Our speakers will
explore issues surrounding economics, politics, and property rights and
the social implications these factors have on our food system.

THURSDAY - OCTOBER 23rd

Amy Trubek - Assistant Professor of Nutrition and Food Sciences, UVM;
Author of ?The Taste of Place?
"The Taste of Place, Our Possible Future"
Hillcrest 103 ? 4:30 pm

ICLC Sponsored Local Abenaki Cultural Dinner
Atwater Dining Hall ? 5:00 - 8:00 pm

Food Themed Poetry Slam
Gamut Room ? 8:00

The popular saying ?think globally, act locally? will be the driving
theme behind Thursday?s events as we balance the local actions of Monday
and Tuesday with the thriving international community at the college.
Amy Trubek, prominent author and professor, will help us analyze the
powerful connection between where our food comes from and the taste
sensations it gives us. Wednesday will force Middlebury students to
think and eat outside of ?the bubble.? The evening?s poetry slam will
further allow for creative expression of the highly individualized
relationships Middlebury students have with food.

FRIDAY - OCTOBER 24th

George Schenk - Founder and President of American Flatbread
"American Food in Punctuation"
Hillcrest 103 ? 12:30 pm

Cheese Club Sponsored Informal Pizza Dinner
Weybridge House ? 6:00 pm

As the week winds down, the symposium will aim to bring the focus back
on the local as small, local actions are the perfect avenue for social
change. George Schenk?s speech will explore practical, realistic and
economically successful ways of incorporating many of the Food
Symposium?s Missions into a business model?local, sustainable food,
delicious taste, atmosphere, and community.

SATURDAY - OCTOBER 25th

MCOG Sponsored Harvest Feast and Cookbook Giveaway
Weybridge House ? 6:00 - 8:00 pm

What better way to end the symposium than a celebration of the success
of Middlebury students? efforts to grow good food? The college garden
has been a student run operation since its beginning and it will be a
joy to close the season with an opportunity to share a meal with the
community.

Database version: 5.10900

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Kate E. Turcotte
Student Coordinator, Campus Kitchens Project