CANCERBIOLOGYJCLUB Archives

September 2010

CANCERBIOLOGYJCLUB@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Quercia Lozzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cancer Biology Journal Club <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:28:26 -0300
 sibi legis patriae observationem_, rather than abjure, or deny the
least particle of that religion which their fathers profess, and they
themselves have been brought up in, be it never so absurd, ridiculous,
they will embrace it, and
without farther inquiry or examination of the
truth, though it be prodigiously false, they will believe it; they will
take much more pains to go to hell, than we shall do to heaven. Single
out the most ignorant of them, convince

his understanding, show him his errors, grossness, and absurdities
of his sect. _Non persuadebis etiamsi persuaseris_, he will not be
persuaded. As
those pagans told the Jesuits in Japona, [6493]they
would do as their forefathers have done: and with Ratholde the Frisian
Prince, go to hell for company, if most of their friends went thither:
they will not be moved, no persuasion, no torture can stir
them. So that papists

cannot brag of their vows, poverty, obedience, orders, merits,
martyrdoms, fastings, alms, good

works, pilgrimages:
much and more than all this, I shall show you, is, and hath been done
by these superstitious Gentiles, Pagans, Idolaters and Jews: their
blind zeal and idolatrous superstition in all kinds is much at one;
little
or no difference, and it is hard to say which is the greatest,
which is the gros