CCENTER Archives

January 2003

CCENTER@LIST.UVM.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Community Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:35:42 -0500
From:
khristian! <[log in to unmask]>
Make Martin Luther King Day, January 20, a day on instead of a day off!

Activities are going on all over the state in honor and celebration of the great civil rights leader.  The R.U.1.2? Community Center has chosen two activities to be a part of in two towns in Vermont.  The Burlington VISTA team is coordinating and putting on a big city-wide celebration, including a free lunch, rally, and several service projects.  The Haymarket People's Fund is sponsoring a film and panel discussion event in Montpelier.   This is a fun and valuable opportunity for VT's GLBT community to show its commitment to anti-racism and social justice issues.

Option 1)  Join your friends and neighbors and other R.U.1.2? volunteers perform a community service project in Burlington.  The project will be helping to cook and clean at one of two Spectrum transitional youht houses.  Meet at 12:30 pm at our headquarters, 1 Steele Street, to meet and greet the community center team.  From there, we will set out to Burlington City Hall for a free lunch and MLK ceremony.  Then it's off to the service project!  The service project will last until 4:30 pm but you can stay as long as you have time for.

Option 2)  Meet the R.U.1.2? crew again at headquarters at 1 Steele Street at 5 p.m. to meet and greet the community center team.  We can organize a carpool and set out for Montpelier in time for the Haymarket "Forum & Film."  The event will be from 6 - 8 pm and feature a showing of "At the River We Stand" - a powerful documentary about the 1968 Memphis Sanitation Worker's Strike and Dr King's assassination.  It will be followed by a panel discussion including Frances Hubbard, Glenn Taulton, and Paij Wadley-Bailey.

Option 3)  Join us for both events!

Whatever option you choose, please call or e-mail us at R.U.1.2? and sign-up ahead of time so we know who to expect, especially for the Montpelier carpool.

yours in pride,
khristian
Khristian Kemp-DeLisser
A*VISTA Program Assistant