CONSBIO Archives

July 2006

CONSBIO@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jim Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UVM Conservation Biology Discussion Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:50:09 -0400
>BOBCAT GENETICS FIELD INTERNSHIP

>LOCATION: Pigeon River State Forest, Northern Lower Peninsula, Michigan.

>DURATION:  August 14th through November 14th.

>COMPENSATION:  $1000/month stipend and housing
>provided.  Technician is responsible for
>transportation to field site, food, and personal expenses.
>
>PROJECT DESCRIPTION:  We will be developing
>methods to collect noninvasive genetic samples
>from bobcats in the NLP, MI.  The project is the
>first step in developing a method for genetic
>mark-recapture population estimation and habitat use assessment.

>PRIMARY DUTIES:  Collection of non-invasive
>genetic samples from hair-snares and
>scat-transects.  Checking hair-snares will
>involve a lot of solo 4WD driving between
>stations with short hikes
>(.5km).  Scat-transects are run as a team
>(technician and graduate-student) through
>backcountry.  Transects will be through
>EXTREMELY dense vegetation at times (swamps and
>thickets).  A working dog trained to detect
>bobcat scat will accompany team along
>transects.  TECHNICIAN WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
>MAINTAINING ORIENTATION ALONG TRANSECTS THROUGH
>BACKCOUNTRY.  There are opportunities for
>technician to take initiative to test additional
>hair-snare methods and/or learn genetic laboratory techniques.
>
>REQUIREMENTS:  Ability to maintain a positive
>attitude in heat, rain, snow, swarms of biting
>insects, muddy roads, stuck trucks, hours of
>solo work, bunk-house style accommodations, and
>LONG weeks.  Strong orienteering skills
>required.  4WD experience required (the roads
>can be bad!).  Previous field experience
>strongly desired.  Attention to detail a must!
>Noninvasive genetic samples are very sensitive
>to contamination and must be handled with
>extreme attention to protocol.  Meticulous field
>notes and sample organization.  A desire to
>learn about wildlife genetics and molecular
>ecology is a plus.  Individual must be easy to
>get along with and companionable with others
>living in close quarters.  POSITIVE ATTITUDE and
>SELF MOTIVATION are the most important requirements.
>
>PERKS:  Beautiful area of Michigan with
>fantastic fishing opportunities!  Bunkhouse,
>while rustic, overlooks Pigeon River.  Perfect
>location for Elk viewing in fall.  Sleeping Bear
>Dunes, Traverse City, Upper Peninsula, and
>beaches all within a few hours drive.
>
>TO APPLY:  Please send ELECTRONIC copies of the
>following materials to [log in to unmask]:
>1. Letter of Interest (this can be in the body
>of an email or attached separately)
>2. Resume
>3. Contact information (phone preferred) for three references.
>
>APPLICATION DEADLINE is FRIDAY, JULY 21st.
>
>PROJECT COORDINATOR:  Jennifer White.  Fisheries
>and Wildlife; Michigan State University.  [log in to unmask]  203.464.3400

Jim Schneider - Academic Adviser
Undergraduate Advising Center
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
Michigan State University
40 Natural Resources Building
East Lansing, MI 48824-1222
Office:      517-353-9091
Fax:         517-432-1699
E-Mail:      [log in to unmask]
FW Web Site: http://www.fw.msu.edu/

To schedule an appointment to meet with me, go to the
web-based Advising Appointment System at
http://www.fw.msu.edu/undergraduates/advising.htm

OR

call the FW Academic Advising Center: 517-353-9091