ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Ethan Goddard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:30:28 -0500
Hello again isotopers,

I'm still having trouble w/ my CE NC2500 - no sample CO2 peak elution.
I've tried or tested all of the suggestions that were made after my
first post a few days ago including

- testing and replacing the O2 circuit solenoids (EV1 and EV2,
originals did not measure as shorted - both were in the 550 Ohms range
which by my calculation was right - 24V, 1W)
- confirmed O2 flow through O2 loop circuit and out purge.
- trying the "match test" (no oxygen flare-up at the carrier-combustion
tube junction)
- making sure that retention times were not an issue (removing the N2
peak jumping to focus solely on CO2).
- jacked up the combustion temp to 1020 and 1050 to see if we we just
below the flash combustion threshold
- going "back to basics" confirming flow rates, purge rates, carrier
pressures, temperatures, timing, etc.

In light of the failed match test and new solenoids I turned my
attention to the electronics.  I measured the voltage across the two
contacts of each solenoid plug EV1 through EV5.  When energized they
measured ~17VDC.  The solenoids themselves are spec'd to 24VDC and the
PS1110 PCB is a 24VDC supply board so I'm wondering if I've got a power
supply problem.  Can anyone confirm that the supply voltage to the
solenoids needs to be 24VDC or should 17VDC be sufficient to switch
them on or off?

Also, does anyone have a pdf, or scan-able schematic for the PS1110 and
EVDV boards?  I'd like to take some readings on the test points to make
sure that the boards are functioning properly but I don't have the
drawings.  If someone would be willing to xerox or scan me a copy of
theirs I'd be grateful.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

thanks,
Ethan

Begin forwarded message: