ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Received: from mhs.swan.ac.uk ([137.44.1.33]) by list.uvm.edu (AIX4.2/UCB 8.7/8.7) with ESMTP id DAA13736 for <[log in to unmask]>; Fri, 8 Nov 1996 03:54:58 -0500 (EST) from GEOG1.SWAN.AC.UK (actually host geog1) by mhs with SMTP (PP); Fri, 8 Nov 1996 08:54:18 +0000 from GEOG1/MERCURY by GEOG1.SWAN.AC.UK (Mercury 1.12); Fri, 8 Nov 96 8:59:49 GMT0BST from MERCURY by GEOG1 (Mercury 1.12); Fri, 8 Nov 96 8:59:30 GMT0BST
From: FRANK PAWELLEK <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 08:59:28 GMT0BST
Hi,

I am currently measuring delta 13 C in organic matter, mostly
cellulose, some sediments. As an internal standard, I use IAEA
pure cellulose standard, originally distributed for the standardization
of radiocarbon dating labs.

These labs measure the 13 C routinely as well, but
usually with poor precision (they need the information as background
for age determination, but 1/2 ppm difference in 13 C doesn't make
much of a difference for the age anyway). So the methodology is often
a bit "sloppy", producing large standard deviations.

I have a published list with delta 13 C values for the IAEA cellulose,
measured by radiocarbon labs,  but it shows a wide spread of values
- as I expected. In contrast, my own measurements all produce very
nearly the same d 13 C - the material is in fact very homogeneous.

My question: Has any stable isotope lab measured the material for
13 C specifically, so that I can compare my results with theirs? If
not, would anybody be willing to do some measurements for establishing
a more exact d 13 C value? I could provide the standard.

And: Is there another suitable standard material for organic carbon,
preferably in the form of cellulose? I think some people use some
organic acid (or so) for that purpose, but I'd prefer something that is
processed exactly as my samples.

Frank Pawellek

----------------------------
Frank Pawellek