ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Arndt Schimmelmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:59:30 -0500
Hello Aaron,
We just went through a similar off-line routine calibrating methane from
lecture bottles for D/H and 13C/12H using a vacuum line. We employ a
toepler pump to collect and compress the methane into the quartz
combustion ampoule, and at the same time we cool the bottom of the
receiving ampoule with liquid nitrogen to lower the partial pressure of
the remaining gaseous methane to a few torr. This way you can transfer
more than 99% of the methane and avoid significant isotope
fractionation. No adsorbent is needed in the quartz ampoule. In a
separate e-mail to you I will provide a graph and explanatory text
outlining the procedure in more detail.
Cheers,
Arndt.

--