ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2020 19:27:14 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Anastasia G Yanchilina <[log in to unmask]>
Hello fellow geochemists!

I would like to bring to your attention our AGU session PP017, "Interpretation of Paleoenvironmental Proxies: Diagnosing Diagenesis and Assessing Proxy Reliability."  The description / abstract of the session is below:

Information about past climate change is derived from interpretations of paleoenvironments made by many different proxies. Proxies are measurable physical, chemical, and biological materials that respond to environmental variables including temperature, salinity, redox conditions, atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations, surface water carbon dioxide concentrations, and nutrients. All of our understanding for past climates and environments before the onset of human-based historical records comes from proxies, which makes diagnosing proxy reliability critical. Proxies are commonly altered after being incorporated into geologic archives and are subject to diagenesis, alteration, and maturation that change the original records of paleoenvironment. Our ability to derive reliable information comes from understanding the response of the proxy to environmental factors and the level of preservation in the geologic archive. We welcome contributions dedicated to exploring the identification and impact of diagenesis on the original paleoenvironmental factors recorded by proxies as well as techniques to correct for diagenetic alteration.

We would be really happy to have your submissions.  We held this session last year and it was very successful and so look forward to doing so again, albeit in the corona adapted format.

Best wishes and thank you in advance!

Julie Griffin, Jordan Wostbrock, and Anastasia Yanchilina