ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Penny Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:40:08 -0500
Hi,

I am working on a similar problem right now. I can tell you that it is
tricky to get oxygen isotope ratios with LA-ICP-MS. I think it may
eventually be done, but the proper ICP equipment does not yet exist (so far
as I know).

One technique that has been tried in the past is LA-GC-IRMS. Read papers by
Zachary Sharp (University of New Mexico) and Thure Cerling (University of
Utah) on this technique. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta (1996) v.60 n.15
p. 2909-2916 and Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology (1996)
v.26 p. 173-186

Another technique is IRM-GC-MS published by Alison Jones, Paola Iacumin and
Edward Young. Chemical Geology (1999) v. 153 p. 241-248.

I hope this helps you.

~Penny