]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ISOGEOCHEM Home

ISOGEOCHEM  October 2014

ISOGEOCHEM October 2014

Re: Oxigen measurments in leaves and wood cellulose

"BROWN, TODD M [AG/1005]" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Oct 2014 17:45:00 +0000

One of the issues I have run into when using benzoate for the standards is that it does not contain any nitrogen. I am using a Thermo TCEA so the first peak I get when running leaves is N2 (28, 29). This tails badly and I am never convinced that it separates 100% from the CO. So as the column efficiency decreases with time a little more of it seeps into the CO peak. The only solution I have to this is to bake out the column after every run to restore the column to peak efficiency. I have been toying with the idea of making two benzoate house standards, determining their values using IAEA601 and 602 standards, then adding a small amount of imidizole to mimic the nitrogen in leaves. This way my standard would have the same amount of carryover from the nitrogen as the samples.

Todd Brown
Monsanto
700 Chesterfield Pkwy
Chesterfield MO 63017