ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Adam Zoltan Csank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:04:10 -0600
Hello all,

I've been attempting to run some Benzoic acid on the TCEA, however, it
seems that after a little over ten samples have been run my peaks begin
to tail until they they disappear. The cause of this problem is that
the graphite crucible seems to be softening and degrading and so is not
allowing the samples to reach the hot spot. I am wondering if maybe the
benzoic acid is reacting with the graphite somehow. Or if , since we
have been cleaning and reusing our crucibles, the crucibles themselves
weaken over time.

I would be curious to know if anyone else has had this problem, and if
anyone has any ideas as to what could be the cause.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Adam Zoltan Csank
Department of Geological Sciences,