ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:13:21 -0800
I have no idea; there are too many variables for me to be able to comment on
your system.

>===== Original Message From Stable Isotope Geochemistry
>Hi, Paul:
>
>Do you think the nafion dryer provided by Micromass with GC-C can handle the
water from the purge and trap? It is a tiny tube about 16 cm long.

>Cheers.
>
>Dachun

membrane, in sample preparation or after combustion.

>  I guess that in sample preparation, due to the relatively high polarity of
MTBE, it can not be excluded that MTBE can partly pass the Nafion membrane.

>  This does, of course, not  interfere with the determination of d13C with an
continuous-flow instrument, since after the combustion, MTBE is completely
transformed to CO2 and H2O

>  We are determining d13C and d2H of MTBE on a regular basis using a Trace GC
coupled to a Finnigan DeltaPlusXL, but never observed a loss of MTBE. For
further hints on MTBE&TBA analysis you can refer to 2 of our publications:

>              Zwank L., Schmidt T.C., Haderlein S. B., Berg M., Simultaneous
determination of fuel oxygenates and BTEX using direct aqueous injection gas
chromatography mass         spectrometry. Environmental Science and
Technology, 2002, 2054-2059

>              Zwank L., Berg M., Schmidt, T. C., Haderlein S. B.,
Compound-specific carbon isotope analysis of volatile organic compounds in the
low microgram per liter range,     Analytical Chemistry, 2003, 5575-5583

>  Best regards,
>
>  Luc

>  Luc ZWANK
>
>  Water Ressources and Drinking Water (W&T)
>  EAWAG / ETH Zurich
>  Ueberlandstrasse 133
>  CH-8600 Dübendorf, Switzerland
>
>  phone: +41 (0)1 823 5218
>  fax:     +41 (0)1 823 5210
>  mobile: +41 (0)78 801 1234
>  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>  http://www.eawag.ch/~zwankluc

possible? I try to analyze d13C of MTBE in water.