ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Zachary Sharp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:06:55 -0700
Dear Isogeochemers,

I am at wits end and need some help.  We are having terrible trouble
neutralizing excess F2 gas from our fluorination line.  Originally, we were
having wonderful success with NaCl.  Large amounts of F2 could be reacted
to NaF + Cl2 in a matter of seconds.  Things were great for months.  Then,
we replaced our used NaCl with a  new batach and the reaction no longer
proceeds.  After replacing the NaCl, we may get it to work one time, but if
we put in a new aliquot of F2, the rates of fluorination of the salt become
painfully slow.  We have tried different temperatures of reaction, used KBr
in place of NaCl and tried different grain sizes (melted the salts,
etc.).  No matter what we do, the reaction of F2 with our salt is so slow
as to be unusable.  I'm going crazy.  It used to work, but no longer.  I
understand that the Earth's magnetic field is weakening, but I don't think
that has anything to do with it!  We've even tried a different bottle of
NaCl.  Still no success.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Zachary Sharp