ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Peter Högberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:13:54 +0100
Dear Dr. SAH,

It is difficult to measure the delta of these small pools. People sometimes
attempt to do it, but there is no way to check that the numbers are right.

The causation of delta in any given soil N pool is complex. Although one
could possibly model the delta of the respective components in the chain:
organic N - ammonium - nitrate, one also has to consider the fractionation
when N is passed from the soil through a mycorrhizal fungus into the plant.

I believe you are looking at Finnish forests, and like here, they often
have a lighter surficial soil layer than deeper down. In many of these
forests nitrate is a rare species, and it may well be that organic N is the
predominant N source. We believe that the light surface is due to the
fractionation upon passage of N from the soil through mycorrhizal fungi
into plants. Fungal N then becomes very heavy, stays in the soil, while the
plant N, which is depleted, ultimately becomes deposited by litterfall on
top of the mor, hence, the isotopic profile.

The above argument is supported by the following papers:

Högberg et al. 1996 Oecologia
Högberg 1997 New Phytol
Taylor et al 1997 New Phytol
Högberg et al. 1999 Oecologia