ISOGEOCHEM Archives

Stable Isotope Geochemistry

ISOGEOCHEM@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Wassenaar,Len [NHRC]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:00:18 -0600
Harro,

1. We use an Isoprime for CO - in our case we use a dual inlet system for
CO/H2/SO2 reference gas injections rather than a ref gas box. We only use
our ref gas box for CO2/N2.  Gilles in an earlier posting gave many good
reasons why one ought to use a dual inlet for the nasty gases, cost and
weird isotopic values not withstanding.  The ref gas boxes (from all
manufacturer?) have a fairly constant continuous flow of the gas (CO or
otherwise) that vent into the lab air by default, far greater than the bleed
from a dual inlet waste flow.  No matter which route you choose you will
want to properly vent all your IRMS roughing pumps and ref box bleed valves
to a fume hood and install a CO detector. The level and cost of security
required will depend on the health and safety rules in your organization.

2. This is very easy - you simply tell the software which system (bellows,
ref box) you are using for your reference pulse source.  All of this is
already set up in Masslynx for Isoprime. There is nothing fancy about this
this approach, which has been used since the early 1990s. Personally I like
the dual inlet bellows injection system better as its less wasteful and more
flexible, although its more expensive to buy initially.

However, I still do not really understand why anyone would want to use CO
for measuring 18O in water over so easily automated CO2-water equilibration,
and especially so for salty to more saline samples (ie 18O activity verus
concentration).  Never got a good answer to this question on this list
before, and haven't seen a slam dunk paper in the literature yet.
Anecdotally, I hear nothing but complaining from labs who tried to use CO
for 18O in waters (very poor precisions, huge memory effects, on and on). So
why even bother?

Len

Leonard I. Wassenaar, Ph.D.
Environment Canada