IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Andrew Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:05:29 -0500
>I'm wondering if this is a shared experience:
>
>I'm a computer support person, a geek. I like to know what's going on
>with regard to technology. I'd like to be able to communicate with others
>about IT topics.
>
>In order to address all my interests and/or responsibilities, I've joined
>the following UVM listserves:
>
>  ETAD
>  NET-CTRL
>  GATEWAY
>  CLIENT_SERVICES
>  SECURITY
>  UVMWEBINFO
>  ACS-STAF
>  PLAN-IT
>  ADVOCATS
>  UVM-LANS
>  UVMWINDOWS
>  UVMOUSER
>  UVMNIXER
>  CIT-STAF
>  INFODOG
>
>  CALENDAR
>  IT-STANDARDS
>  PALMISTRY
>  POWERPOINT
>  WORDTALK

As you've more than adequately illustrated above, topic specific
lists aren't the answer.

As chair of the yet to be formed, much anticipated, when the heck is
Andrew going to get it going, IT Communications Committee, what I'd
like to see is Advocats used as the central IT announcement and yes,
discussion, list.  The culture should be "if it wasn't announced on
Advocats, then it doesn't exist".

Sue Mackin's point about the list getting too technical on occasion
is accurate. Perhaps Advocats should be moderated, or at least
governed by some sort of loosely worded usage policy that would
encourage people to off-line such detailed conversations.

So, I guess now that I've opened the door, I'll post an announcement
regarding forming the committee.

Andrew Hendrickson
Information System Analyst
College of A & S Computing Services