IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Mike Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:37:13 -0500
Yes, we will be working on recommended security practices, and good web
sites for many different OSes as time permits.

mga.

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Corey Gilmore wrote:

> Since there are going to be several different levels of protection, and
> consequently different levels of access to machines as the firewall is
> installed, is there going to be any sort of repository kept, possibly with
> guides for different operating systesms?
>
> Perhaps something that contains links to general security guides and
> mailing lists, and then more OS specific links.  For linux you could have
> links to all the distribution mailing lists, and then guides for
> hardening.  Things such as
>
> Bastille Linux http://bastille-linux.sourceforge.net/
> Securing and Optimizing Red Hat http://www.linuxdoc.org/guides.html
> Trustix Linux http://www.trustix.net/
>
> But when it comes to IRIX, its just hard to find the resources I need.
> Consequently, we have two SGI's that have ~3 user accounts, one or two
> ports open, and not much functionality at the moment.
>
> -corey

Mike Austin                           Computing & Information Technology
Systems Programmer                    The University of Vermont
UNIX/DCE Sys Admin                    802-656-8785