IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Chris Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:43:00 -0500
Quoting Hope Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>:
> 1) The New York Times has an article today on a new unlimited movie
> download service from Starz: Vongo.com, a $9.95 a month subscription
> service for downloading movies from the Internet for use on
> computers, portable video players and TVs. Starz used to use

Sounds cool... I'll keep my other ponderings to myself. :)

> RealNetworks but has now cut a deal with MicroSoft.

At least it's not QT.

> Once they figure out an iPod deal you can watch it on:
> 2) Eyebud, a "wearable headset system that plugs into Apple
> Computer's portable media device and displays video from it in front
> of one eye, using optical technology designed to give the picture a
> higher resolution and make it appear larger than on the iPod's
> screen. . .With the proximity of the screen to the eye, and the
> magnifying effect of the company's optical technology, the company
> says that using the headset is akin to watching a 105-inch display
> from 12 feet away."

Huh. Nothing new really.. just being able to plug into a DMP. However,
for $600,
no friggin way. I've seen the quality of the video made for ipods... yik. And
who wants that resolution blown up to '105" display'? It's can't possibly look
very good.

It's basically an overpriced iPod toy (is there any other type?) that is much
better if it can be plugged into more devices so you could say... use a laptop
with the screen down or something like that.
Did anyone else get a chance to play with "i-glasses" back in da day? Crap
resolution, but I played Descent with them and it was absolutely amazing.

Still too expensive though.
Steve will probably get one. ;)

Chris
--