IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Hope Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:54:34 -0500
Here's an excellent article/review of Google which includes a brief
history, interesting tidbits (including one area where Google failed
it's own "do no evil" policy), and a provocative last paragraph:

London Review of Books: John Lanchester, "The
Global Id", a review of The Google Story by David Vise and The
Search: How Google and Its Rivals Rewrote the Rules of Business and
Transformed Our Culture by John Battelle (LRB 28.2, 26 January 2006),
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n02/lanc01_.html.

"Putting all this togetherwe reach the conclusion that, on the one hand,
Google is cool. On the other hand, Google has the potential to destroy
the publishing industry, the newspaper business, high street retailing
and our privacy. Not that it will necessarily do any of these things,
but for the first time, considered soberly, these things are
technologically possible. The company is rich and determined and is not
going away any time soon. They know what they are doing technologically;
socially, though, they can't possibly know, and I don't think anyone
else can either. These are the earliest days in a process of what may
turn out to be radical change. The best historical analogy for where
Google is today probably comes from the time when the railroads were
being built. Everyone knew that trains and railways would change the
world, but no one predicted the invention of suburbs. Google, and the
increased flow of information on which it rides and from which it
benefits, is the railway. I don't think we've yet seen the first suburbs."