IT-DISCUSS Archives

September 2015

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Andrew Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 2015 09:40:17 -0400
Another option, should the all powerful wizard transfer of the site from place to place not work, I believe you can also export a copy of the entire site including content, then reimport back into SP as a subsite.

Of course if the exported site is huge, you may run into quota problems.

AEH

> On Sep 1, 2015, at 8:51 AM, J. Greg Mackinnon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> The way that you organize your sites and site collections is strictly a matter of preference.  If there is a lot of cross-usage between your current site collections, it might make more sense to collapse them into a single new site collection.  However, if usage of the sites is more discrete, it may be easier to maintain separate site collections with entirely different permissions.
>
> In theory it is possible for a SharePoint server administrator to migrate site content from a top-level site collection to a sub-site of a new site collection.  I can't recall actually doing it before, but I suppose we could give it a try.  Any fully-qualified links in the site would need to be updated manually, and you likely would have to do a lot of auditing of permissions to make sure that the desired access rights are in place after the migration.
>
> -J. Greg Mackinnon | ETS Systems Architecture and Administration | x68251
>
> On 9/1/2015 8:22 AM, Tim Raymond wrote:
>> CEMS has two sharepoint sites, we are considering another.
>>
>> The two sites are sites/CEMS_RPT and sites/CEMSFacStaff.  The two have
>> different permissions.
>>
>> Does it make sense to create another site sites/CEMS and migrate the
>> existing two there as subsites (sites/CEMS/RPT and sites/CEMS/FacStaff)
>> and then create another subsite for the new one?
>>
>> Are there any restrictions if this is done?
>>
>> Can this be done without manually copying each and every document and
>> permission?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Tim

Andrew Hendrickson