IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Greg MacKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:34:32 -0500

> > A major thing missing is any sort of X-windows apps. I use this
> > extensively to have access to a pop client for email that roams and
> > lets me manage attachments, and a browser environment customized for
> > my needs running on our Red Hat Linux server. For over a year it has
> > been on X-win32 only and I find that fights with my workflow, since I
> > am normally on Mac for the bulk of my work.

One potential freeware alternative to eXodus is MI/X for macintosh from
microimages.
See http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/download.htm to download this
product.

MI/X supports X11R6, has cut/paste support, and includes a native twm windows
manager.  Unlike some commercial alternatives, it does not support OpenGL (is
this really a big deal?).  I love free!

> > Since people are encouraged to take advantage of central services, and
> > that is primarily a Unix cluster, it would seem only fair and
> > equitable to provide nice stable apps for accessing these resources
> > from the Mac (i.e. X windows and contemporary FTP like Interarchy or
> > something).
>
> I agree.  CIT may not be able to afford a site license for a mac X
> emulator, but I'd certainly recommend trying eXodus.  Perhaps you should
> bring this up to the ITN Standards Committee
> (http://www.uvm.edu/itnetwork/standcom) and ask that a standard be
> reviewed for X emulating software.
>

> As for FTP - is fetch inadequate?  (I won't be insulted if you say yes
> :-).  This would be anotyher good topic for the ITN standards committee.
> Personally, I've been looking for an SSH client for the mac that will do
> sFTP, like openSSH for windows.  No such luck yet.  If you can articulate
> your thoughts on fetch, and perhaps some suggestions for other FTP
> programs to examine, forward them along to the standards committee, or pop
> in on our next meeting. Unlike many committees, we actually get things
> done.  :-)

The SSH standard effort is underway.  It is possible for the final
recommendation to include SFTP products for Mac AND Windows.
Try DataFellows F-Secure SSH for the Macintosh:
http://www.datafellows.com/download-purchase/

This client supports the SSH2 protocol and includes FTP tunneling support
(not true SFTP, but still a good, simplified, secured FTP mechanism).

-Greg MacKinnon
CIT Client Services