IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Greg MacKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:16:50 -0500
Corey Gilmore wrote:

> Is the university going to upgrade their CRT license to a SecureCRT
> license?  I've found SecureCRT to be one of the more robust clients
> available.  ssh.com has a fairly good client that is free for
> university use, which might fit the budget a little better...
>
> Mindterm <http://www.mindbright.se/mindterm/> is also free, and written in
> Java (take that as you will).

A recommended standard SSH client is current topic of discussion for the standards
committee.  You can view a matrix comparing the pros and cons of various SSH
clients at:

http://www.uvm.edu/itnetwork/standcom/ssh/sshmatrix.html

During testing, we have found that the Secure Communications product (ssh.com) is
not only cheaper that SecureCRT (free!), but it also is more fully featured (it
supports graphical SFTP, command-line options for scripting, and key
generation/management).  We now have  a copy of Secure Communications SSH 2.4
licensed to the University and available for public download.

FYI, The "Zoo keepers" are evaluating MindTerm for use as an alternative SSH
client.

-Greg MacKinnon