IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Duke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:53:36 -0500
Thanks to everyone who offered information about solutions for personal
firewall and security needs at the home office. In my research, I've
across a couple of interesting articles...

[] Ziff-Davis' PC Magazine has survey at

<http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/reviews/0,6755,2669359,00.html>

as part of a privacy series. But I found it lacking in detailed comparison
of the products mentioned. Still, it's useful for getting a feel of the
market.

[] SecurityPortal's article has much more information

<http://securityportal.com/articles/pf_main20001023.html>

and a nice list of references for further investigation...

I've tried eval versions of

o BlackIce Defender, which has worked well against incoming traffic

o Norton Internet Security, Personal edition, which is more
  comrehensive, and includes Norton Antivirus--which the Standards
  group is evaluating. It's also more expensive.

I'll post updates on this thread to [log in to unmask]

--Geoff