IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Roger Lawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:35:48 -0500
At 9:08 AM -0500 3/28/01, Ralph Stuart, University of Vermont wrote:
>>Security level 4 hosts will be open to telnet. However, among our
>>goals is to gradually move all level 4 systems to level 3, which will
>>support encrypted services only. Since many clients don't currently
>>have encrypted telnet, IMAP, POP, etc. support, that may take some
>>time.
>
>Are there any that do? Can the servers handle it?

   Yes, Zoo supports encrypted protocols today. However, the client
must have the corresponding software. This is an area where my
knowledge is limited. Perhaps, someone (Mike A? Frank?) can go into
further detail. The related software and the popular platforms for
which they are available will be described on the security Web site
eventually (and well before we have phased out unencrypted access
from the Internet).

>I understand the need and goal; I'm curious about practicality and schedule.

   I share your concerns. Updating thousands of desktops with the
encryption-capable client software will surely take some time.

Roger Lawson