IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Scott Dellinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:56:48 -0500
On Jan 20, 2006, at 11:26 AM, Victor Rossi wrote:

> Would anyone have insight into the error message
>
> 'VPN cannot connect to the underlying subsystem'
>
> This machine has McCaffe security systems running.  The Windows
> firewall shows the required port exceptions activated.   Wireless
> connectivity is good.   I have installed the latest UVM vpn client
> and it is enabled.  I can do some configuration steps through the
> Network applet, but cannot get the client to boot up.

If the client is saying that and not starting up, I think the
"underlying subsystem" it's referring to is the VPN client's network
driver.  You said "connectivity is good" -- I'm assuming you mean
wireless signal -- but do you actually have an IP address?  The
client won't start up if you don't already have one.

--
Scott Dellinger
TSG