IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Alex Scortzaru <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:40:59 -0500
Mike,

The way that I will look at this is that you don't buy a network operating system you go out and buy a business solution for your department. After you figure out what you want to accomplish, what is your final outcome, you go ahead and select the platform that is needed it. Most likely you will find out that the application/applications and the support options will some how dictate what NOS you will purchase.

For example:

- if you only want to provide file and print sharing Novell was and is still the best choice
- if you want to take advantages of the open source environment and you are looking to develop intranet/entrant/e-commerce solutions probably Linux is a better choice. Here you should not forget that CIT has a lot of AIX based servers (Zoo cluster) which may satisfy your Internet needs.
- if you find out that the application that is best suited for your business is running only on Microsoft NT (which is happening more often than you think) go ahead and implement an NT environment but I will not switch to NT just because Microsoft has a great marketing department and that is what your managers are hearing all the time.

Supporting these NOS is a different matter. Be aware that Microsoft NT is known for giving the impression that is a lot easier to maintain but it is proven that this is not the case, and lately most reports are recognizing that is one of the most expensive NOS to maintain (cost per user). I don't even want to mention reliability where NT is known as the "most rebootable NOS"

Anyway down the road you will find out that a combination of at least two NOS (like it or not) will be needed to support your environment.

Alex Scortzaru
Information Systems Manager
Division of Continuing Education
University of Vermont

>>> [log in to unmask] Monday, 12 March, 2001 4:58:48 PM >>>
Hi --

My name is Mike Kenny. I've been doing the IT work for the Department of
Medical Biostatistics for several years. I've heard of this group just in
time time to ask a big question. We are considering buying new servers, and
in the meeting today the three people in the room came down in favor of
three different Network Operating Systems. They are:
                  Novell Small Business Suite Version 5.1
                  Red Hat Linux
                  Microsoft Small Business Server 2000

We have been a Novell operation for many years. Our installation of NetWare
4.11 has given us nearly 4 years of solid service, but several key people
are concerned that Novell is on the way out, and that Microsoft has the
stronger set of applications.

My only experience is in Novell 4.11, so I feel unqualified to judge. Any
advice would be appreciated. Our current servers are used for tape backup,
file sharing, and tape backup (when the $%*!@ing thing cooperates!) and
this would of course continue. We are also planning to get into web-based
data collection, so Web server and development applications are important
to us, as well as network database software.

Mike

Michael Kenny, Data Analyst
University of Vermont Biometry Facility
phone: (802)656-5875 fax: (802) 656-5875
email: [log in to unmask]