IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Mike Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:19:38 -0500
> We are considering buying new servers, and in the meeting today the
> three people in the room came down in favor of three different Network
> Operating Systems. They are:
>                   Novell Small Business Suite Version 5.1
>                   Red Hat Linux
>                   Microsoft Small Business Server 2000

> We are also planning to get into web-based data collection, so Web
> server and development applications are important to us, as well as
> network database software.

Why not use Zoo for your web, and file services?  Our central web servers
support many different development languages, we have a central database,
the web server can authenticate against our DCE/Kerberos Zoo
authentication database, etc ...  We have Samba file services for PC file
sharing, and Mac file sharing is in evaulation mode right now.

Why worry about system administration, backups, and security problems?
Why spend the extra money purchasing and maintaining your own server?
Use the central services rather than duplicating existing resources.

mga.