IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Harley Blake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:43:31 -0500
Hello,

I have noticed somewhat of a gap between the software provided here at
UVM for Mac and that provided for Windows - maybe justifiable by
amount of PC users being higher, but whatever...

A major thing missing is any sort of X-windows apps. I use this
extensively to have access to a pop client for email that roams and
lets me manage attachments, and a browser environment
customized for my needs running on our Red Hat Linux server. For over
a year it has been on X-win32 only and I find that fights with my
workflow, since I am normally on Mac for the bulk of my work.

Since people are encouraged to take advantage of central services, and
they are primarily Unix based, it would seem only fair and equitable to
provide nice stable apps for accessing these resources from the Mac
(i.e. X windows and contemporary FTP like Interarchy or something).

Powerlan http://powerlan-usa.com
has an excellent suite that I am giving a trial run at the moment; they
have academic trials that extend the base demos, if you ask, so things
don't time out.  After trying many free and more commercial things so
far, this seems like the best - but I haven't gone very deep yet.
The company seems solid anyway, and it (Exodus) was a breeze to
get up and running (unlike*MANY* others); it is fun to tinker or run
several  machines at one time for different tasks, but sometimes you
just need stuff that works right in the place you need it, that's all.

-Harley

--
Harley W. Blake III