IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Rohr, Rob" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 19:17:06 -0500
Does the University have a Server Authentication Certificate from a
trusted Certificate Authority (CA) for the purposes of web communication
using SSL?

Does the University have the capability to generate new trusted
Certificates for departmental use to allow for SSL communication on
departmental servers?

Is there a policy on the generation and use of Certificates used in
Public Key encryption schemes?

Is there a fee associated with this?

I ask, because, until now, the business school has been able to use
current user accounts to authenticate web pages that contain
secure/restricted content, but our alumni who don't have accounts would
prefer to keep certain information private when registering on our
alumni site.

We would like to enable SSL on our web servers but require a trusted CA
to issue our Server Authentication Certificate and would prefer not to
have to spend money annually to Verisign, for instance, if UVM already
has a trusted certificate and the ability to generate subordinate
certificates from theirs.  Our alumni deserve as much privacy as our
current students, faculty and staff.  We can generate keys and
certificates willy nilly, but until our site has a trust link back to a
CA, our certificates are worthless.

Rob

Rob Rohr     mailto:[log in to unmask]
UVM - School of Business Administration