IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Roger Lawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:54:41 -0500
At 11:34 AM -0500 3/30/01, Corey Gilmore wrote:
>Since there are going to be several different levels of protection, and
>consequently different levels of access to machines as the firewall is
>installed, is there going to be any sort of repository kept, possibly with
>guides for different operating systesms?

   Yes. I have set aside space for such a repository on the current
draft of the security Web page. This page will eventually be turned
over to someone who knows more about the subject that I do...  See
http://www.uvm.edu/~ral/security/?Page=server.admin.html

>Perhaps something that contains links to general security guides and
>mailing lists, and then more OS specific links.  For linux you could have
>links to all the distribution mailing lists, and then guides for
>hardening.  Things such as
>
>Bastille Linux http://bastille-linux.sourceforge.net/
>Securing and Optimizing Red Hat http://www.linuxdoc.org/guides.html
>Trustix Linux http://www.trustix.net/

   Added.

>But when it comes to IRIX, its just hard to find the resources I need.
>Consequently, we have two SGI's that have ~3 user accounts, one or two
>ports open, and not much functionality at the moment.

   I'll add links if someone can suggest/vouch for the value of the
information resources.

Roger