IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Harley Blake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:00:13 -0500
Hello,

I have noticed somewhat of a gap between the software provided here at
UVM for Mac
and that provided for Windows - maybe justifyable by amount of PC users
being higher, but
whatever...

A major thing missing is any sort of X-windows apps. I use this
extensively to have access
to a pop client for email that roams and lets me manage attachments, and
a browser environment
customized for my needs running on our Red Hat Linux server. For over a
year it has been on
X-win32 only and I find that fights with my workflow, since I am
normally on Mac for the bulk
of my work.

Since people are encouraged to take advantage of central services, and
that is primarily a Unix
cluster, it would seem only fair and equitable to provide nice stable
apps for accessing these
resources from the Mac (i.e. X windows and contemporary FTP like
Interarchy or something).

Powerlan http://powerlan-usa.com
has an excelent suite that I am giving a trial run at the moment; they
have academic
trials that extend the base demos, if you ask, so things don't time
out.  After trying many free and
more comercial things so far, this seems like the best - but I haven't
gone very deep yet.
The company seems solid anyway, and it (Exodous) was a breeze to get up
and running
(unlike*MANY* others)  ; it is fun to tinker or run several machines at
one time for different tasks,
but sometimes you just need stuff that works right in the place you need
it, that's all.

-Harley

--
Harley W. Blake III