IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jim White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:24:05 -0500
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:15:32PM -0500, Geoff Duke wrote:
> > Of course, enterprising students always have the option of installing
> > Linux. But would there be any advantage to offering a "supported" Linux
> > OS option?
> >
> > If not, is there enough community interest that we can plan an install fest?

My primary concern would be the aftermath.  It is all well and good to have
an install-fest, but how about adminstrating Linux after-the-fact?

UVM does not even offer a Unix administration/maintenance course (to my knowledge).

As much as I'd like to see Linux replace Windows (ha!), I wonder if this would
be classified as something we should "be careful we wish for".

--
Jim White
EM Computer Facility