IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Greg MacKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:15:43 -0500
The standards committee of the IT Network group has identified a need
for a standardized SSH (Secure SHell) client for Windows and Macintosh
users on the UVM campus.  SSH is a secured remote terminal-access
protocol intended to provide a replacement for conventional Telnet and
FTP clients.

Several standards candidates were identified and tested.  A matrix of
the candidates and their relative merits can be viewed at:
http://www.uvm.edu/itnetwork/standcom/ssh/sshmatrix.html

We have concluded that Secure Communications SSH2 v2.4 for Windows and
NiftyTelnet+SSH for the Macintosh are best suited for our needs.  Each
of these products has strengths and weaknesses, but these two seem
provide the best combination of features and value.

Please forward any comments, criticisms, or complaints to
mailto:[log in to unmask]  If this proposal meets with general
approval, it will be implemented at the beginning of the fiscal year in
April.

We will continue to examine new products and upgrades for inclusion in
future standards announcements.

You may download these products from the CIT software archive at:
ftp://ftp.uvm.edu/pub/ssh/

-Greg MacKinnon
CIT Client Services
University of Vermont