IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Andrew Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:39:23 -0500
>Hello,
>
>Has anyone heard of folks trying to forward a message, and finding that
>the body of the original (quoted inline) is incompletely quoted?  This
>isn't a case of a contiguous chunk being deleted, but rather words or
>phrases here and there that are just plain missing, like pieces of a
>puzzle.
>
>So far, I've definitely observed this when someone using Eudora Light 3.06
>tries to forward a message sent by Eudora 5.02.
>
>I've heard reports from a Netscape 4.7 Messenger (IMAP) user trying to
>forward something, but I haven't been able to verify this yet.

I recall something vaguely about how forwarding a message that came
originally from a particular mailer sending in rich text or HTML
format would do this.  It had to do with line wrapping problems.

Perhaps getting concrete examples from those having the problem, then
looking at the headers in detail would help?

Also, everyone should watch out for uninstalling Eudora Light under
Windows 9X.  The uninstaller will remove not only Eudora, but also
the INBOX (yikes!) from whatever Eudora directory that Eudora Light
was originally installed into irregardless of whether the Eudora
files that it finds in that directory ARE the original installation
or are an upgraded version.  I've been catastrophically nailed by
this one a couple of times.

ALWAYS back up all the mail files in ALL the Eudora directories
before uninstalling Eudora light, otherwise face the music when the
inbox disappears never to be retrieved.

Andrew Hendrickson
Information System Analyst
College of A & S Computing Services