IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Mike Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:14:04 -0500
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Steve Cavrak wrote:

>> Updating thousands of desktops with the encryption-capable client
>> software will surely take some time.
>
> At that scale, the challenge of updating the desktop begins to pale
> with the task of updating the minds behind the desktops.

In spite of the "challenge", it's something we really need to do.  The
Internet is becoming an increasingly hostile environment, and we need to
protect our network, resources, and users.

If we turn off the unencrypted services at some date in the future, that
will motivate people to use the new software, especially when they can't
connect anymore without using the secure services.  If we make the
download and installation of that software easy, most users should be able
to do it themselves.

Way back in 1996 when we finally turned telnet access to moose.uvm.edu
off, and "made" people use zoo.uvm.edu, people adapted and things were
better because of it.  We know that "big change" is tough, but we also
know that people can adjust when the payback is big enough.

mga.