IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Corey Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:54:39 -0500
I was browsing the IT Standards page and noticed your search for a survey
tool.  At DMDL we use phpESP, which is an open source survey generating
tool written in PHP.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpesp/
http://phpesp.sourceforge.net/

Its web based, and stores its results in a mysql database.  The real
strengths lie in its form generation though, which is very simple, and
powerful.

Looking at the requirements, the data is as secure as the
server and database you use.  The processing script would probably have to
be adjusted a little bit to make the program more useful to UVM, but after
that, one script would be capable of dealing with all surveys.  The data
is stored in a database.  Its easy to use (to create a survey AND submit
one).  We modified a copy for one of our projects so to allow for multiple
questions per page, rather than one per page.  I am not sure if it
captures data about who completes the survey, but this could easily be
added.  I am also not sure about limiting surveys to one per person, but
again, its something that could easily be added (via an ip check or
cookies).  The only additional IT resources required would be to grant
database access as needed.  Given UVM's committment to PHP, it should be
easily supported by CIT.  Since the tool generates a PHP file for each
survey, it would be easy for knowledgeable designers to modify the HTML
look and feel.  I don't think that it has validity checks at entry time,
although you can flag fields as required.  I don't know about its
branching support either.