IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Greg MacKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:56:58 -0500
Roger Lawson wrote:

> At 9:08 AM -0500 3/28/01, Ralph Stuart, University of Vermont wrote:
> >>Security level 4 hosts will be open to telnet. However, among our
> >>goals is to gradually move all level 4 systems to level 3, which will
> >>support encrypted services only. Since many clients don't currently
> >>have encrypted telnet, IMAP, POP, etc. support, that may take some
> >>time.
> >
> >Are there any that do? Can the servers handle it?
>
>    Yes, Zoo supports encrypted protocols today. However, the client
> must have the corresponding software. This is an area where my
> knowledge is limited. Perhaps, someone (Mike A? Frank?) can go into
> further detail. The related software and the popular platforms for
> which they are available will be described on the security Web site
> eventually (and well before we have phased out unencrypted access
> from the Internet).

There are many tools available to enable secure communication with servers
running encrypted protocols...

Both Netscape Messenger and Outlook Express support encrypted POP, IMAP, and
SMTP protocols.

The Secure Communication SSH program for windows supports Secure "telnet" (SSH)
and secure FTP (SFTP).  Nifty Telnet+SSH is available for the Macintosh.

All of the above listed programs have simple, intuitive user interfaces that
should require little to no retraining (if you can use telnet, you can use
SSH).  They are already available for download from our software archive:
ftp://ftp.uvm.edu/pub/ssh/
ftp://ftp.uvm.edu/pub/web/netscape/

There still is work to be done on the server side, but none of the ideas
proposed in the security draft are impossible.  I am sure the servers can handle
it.

-Greg MacKinnon