IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
John Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:43:17 -0500
Hi:

I have had a similar situation occur at one of our field offices.  The
office is connected with Verizon DSL, the router is a Dell True Mobile
2350.  We are running 64 bit WEP  encryption.  However, the issue does not
seem to be limited to wireless connections.

I didn't notice the issue at first possibly because the system was a
Latitude that was wired, and the internal wireless adapter was also
running. When one cut out, the other was working.   One day when upgrading
software on the machine, I noticed that the wired connection had the
dreaded red "X" to indicate that it was down.  Needless to say, after 2
hours of banging my head against the wall I called Dell.  Dell was
convinced that it was the CPU.  In fact, they were sending out a tech to
replace the motherboard on the system, but for some unknown reason (I
didn't touch anything, really!) it started to work again so I cancelled the
service call.  Two weeks later, the same thing happened on another system
in that office (an Optiplex that was only wired) in the same office.

As far fetched as it might seem, I wondered if there was some bug or
spyware that invalidates the IP.  The interesting thing was that the two
systems affected are used by the same individual. A coincidence?  Maybe.
This person is not really "Tech Literate", so I doubt that they is doing
any messing with the settings.  The systems are protected with power-on
passwords.  We have three other systems and two network printers connected
to this LAN, but none have the problem.

I have 6 other offices using the same router, but I am not aware of the
issue surfacing at these other locations.

My take is there is some issue with the DHCP server.  It flakes out
periodically when assigning a certain IP or is unable to assign a
particular IP to the NIC for some reason.  My work around was to go to the
properties page of the IP settings and assign a static IP under the
"Alternate Configuration" tab.  I have the DHCP server set for a range of
50 IPs, so I pick an IP outside of this range.  A crude fix, but it seems
to work.

Since the office is 110 miles from my office, I haven't spent a lot of time
trying to troubleshoot further.

John