IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Duke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:33:42 -0500
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Andrew Hendrickson wrote:

> >Hello,
> >
> >Has anyone heard of folks trying to forward a message, and finding that
> >the body of the original (quoted inline) is incompletely quoted?  This
> >isn't a case of a contiguous chunk being deleted, but rather words or
> >phrases here and there that are just plain missing, like pieces of a
> >puzzle.
> >
> >So far, I've definitely observed this when someone using Eudora Light 3.06
> >tries to forward a message sent by Eudora 5.02.
> >
> >I've heard reports from a Netscape 4.7 Messenger (IMAP) user trying to
> >forward something, but I haven't been able to verify this yet.
>
> I recall something vaguely about how forwarding a message that came
> originally from a particular mailer sending in rich text or HTML
> format would do this.  It had to do with line wrapping problems.
>
> Perhaps getting concrete examples from those having the problem, then
> looking at the headers in detail would help?
>
> Also, everyone should watch out for uninstalling Eudora Light under
> Windows 9X.  The uninstaller will remove not only Eudora, but also
> the INBOX (yikes!) from whatever Eudora directory that Eudora Light
> was originally installed into irregardless of whether the Eudora
> files that it finds in that directory ARE the original installation
> or are an upgraded version.  I've been catastrophically nailed by
> this one a couple of times.
>
> ALWAYS back up all the mail files in ALL the Eudora directories
> before uninstalling Eudora light, otherwise face the music when the
> inbox disappears never to be retrieved.

Although I haven't seen the uninstaller remove the IN.mbx file, I have had
my share of anomolous behavior. I always use Find File to locate all *.mbx
files and copy them to a safe place. Find the nndbase.txt and rcpdbase.txt
and copy them to the same safe location.

Additionally, CIT is NOT recommending upgrades of Eudora Light to Eudora
(the behemoth) 5.x in any of its modes. The standards group will soon be
looking at the email client options available.

--Geoff